Send your construction pics to content_at_themeparxdotcom

Post an Update
Page 13 of 35 First Page ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... Last Page
Posts 121 - 130 of 344
  1. CarlySX is offline themeparX Top Investigator
    It is hard to say and honestly at the moment I wouldn't worry until you start seeing actual construction taking place.

I would forecast (based on other similar projects) that overall it will increase the house prices in the area - if it's built fully with park etc BUT it will also flood the housing market with lowish quality apartments from developers so if you have a larger house further on the housing ladder i.e. not a starter home you may find it more difficult to sell as the market will be more focussed towards smaller homes for rental and first time buyers. So totally depends on your home, what stage you intend to sell in and what actually gets built.

Overall the improved infrastructure should work in your favour but with COVID having an impact on people not commuting as much this might be less pronounced.

Quote Originally Posted by tbsc50 View Post
    Question about local housing? What will be the likely impact on the housing stock and values in the local area?

I am a local resident (Greenhithe, approx 1.5 miles from the site), and am a little worried that this will drive values down over the next few years as the parks construction gathers pace.

2. tbsc50 is offline New User
    Question about local housing? What will be the likely impact on the housing stock and values in the local area?

I am a local resident (Greenhithe, approx 1.5 miles from the site), and am a little worried that this will drive values down over the next few years as the parks construction gathers pace.

3. admin is online now Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeleeSTAR View Post
    What’s happened to the last post that had the new concept art on it?
    The post you are referring to was removed upon request after the original source of the concept art was deleted.

4. LeeleeSTAR is offline Senior Park Investigator
    What’s happened to the last post that had the new concept art on it?

5. LeeleeSTAR is offline Senior Park Investigator
    Trying not to be a negative nanny again but I’ve done some digging on the Paramount parks announced for China and Korea. Firstly does anyone know if the same people are involved at all three parks? The concept art is remarkably similar.

Secondly construction work has started in Korea but only on the accommodation, arena and some leisure facilities. The theme park is not expected to start yet for at least a year and a half. I can’t help but wonder if the same will happen in the UK one and then the theme park will not materialise as funds will dry up.

6. I'm still a little dubious about this project, I really hope the theme park happens but I can't help but think we will only see the flats and some of the listed facilities but no theme parks.

7. CarlySX is offline themeparX Top Investigator
    The consultation opened this week where you can see (and respond to) the planning documents.

This is what is listed under the resort...

The London Resort will include:

The Leisure Core – two theme parks with themed rides and attractions, entertainment venues, retail and dining

- Four hotels with up to 3,550 rooms, including one Water Park hotel
    - Retail, dining and entertainment outside the park gates with Conferention Centre (i.e. Conference and Convention Centre) and an eSports Centre
    - Car parking on the Swanscombe Peninsula and at Tilbury in Thurrock
    - A Park and Glide facility at Tilbury, with river transport infrastructure on both sides of the Thames, including floating jetty and ferry terminals
    - A new access road between the A2 Ebbsfleet junction and the London Resort
    - Improved local transport links, including a network of pedestrian and cycle routes and enhanced public transport services
    - Habitat creation and enhancement and public access
    - Utilities, security and safety provisions
    - Up to 500 homes for London Resort workers
    Master plan images from the documents available, there's a lot of new technical images:

Arrival Plaza, Hotels, and Market

View from Pilgrims' Way

The non-technical summary document is a good place to start to understand the overall project. https://marengo.tractivity.co.uk/images/blob/efa17087-58e7-45c2-9ffe-b8a58d6a34d5/LR%20PEIR%20Non-Technical%20Summary.pdf

You can read more here...https://consultation.londonresort.info/surveys/50

Sources: https://londonresort.info/media/1104/illustrative-parameters-plans.pdf and https://marengo.tractivity.co.uk/images/blob/f6b8126f-e790-4783-82a3-282cdbca90e0/Illustrative%20Masterplan.pdf and https://consultationspace.com/LondonResort/#masterplan

8. I saw the new concept art this morning and it occurred to me that I have seen something very similar before... in one of Py Gerbeau's previous project locations. Before the O2 arena became successful the Millennium Dome (it's the same building for those of you who may not know) was a massive failure. Huge tourist attraction built on old industrial land in an area nobody valued, it now has thousands of apartments surrounding it, a rail link on the London tube network and is a destination for locals and tourists. It looks suspiciously like the new artwork coming out of the London Resort.

This new "concept art" literally features no theme park at all, unless you count the tiny scribble of a roller coaster and castle (?!) in the background of the first image. It shows housing, transport infrastructure and landscaping for external parts but no new concept art of the park and this press release was exclusively sent to a tourist publication - with no real reference to any tourist attraction? This doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Image 1: Concept art released today on the left and actual images from Greenwich Peninsula on the right, note even the shape of the canopies shown in the concept which mirror the tube station and cable car station from Greenwich.

Image 2: This is the land for Greenwich and the O2 arena on the left and the land for The London Resort on the right. When the Dome was built the area in Greenwich was very similar to the land in Kent today, lots of old warehousing, docks and old industrial land.

The fact that Py left the Millennium Dome project when it failed and was never involved in the actual success of the O2 arena is irrelevant to the London Resort project in my opinion. The success of the O2 is in the creation of a destination with increased land value and thousands of apartments in an area of London that 15 years ago housed a failed tourist attraction and land nobody wanted to live on.

Concept Art from Blooloop

9. LeeleeSTAR is offline Senior Park Investigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
    Not the most exciting article (it's a rumour about the construction company shortlist) but there are some weird things in here about financing and who is involved in this project that made me suspicious...

Source: https://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/shapoorji-pallonji-among-4-finalists-for-535-acre-theme-park-uk-s-largest-120070500293_1.html
    Well dissected and backs up my fears about the whole project. I just don’t think the site itself is suitable the project to start with. Don’t see if getting off the ground at all and I don’t believe there was ever any intention to do so.

10. Not the most exciting article (it's a rumour about the construction company shortlist) but there are some weird things in here about financing and who is involved in this project that made me suspicious.

One of India’s top conglomerates, the Shapoorji Pallonji group, is in the final lap to bag the construction mandate of the UK’s largest amusement park, persons aware of the development told Business Standard.
    I cannot find any evidence that Shapoorji Pallonji group have any experience of theme park construction. They have some projects completed but nothing tourist attraction related. If anyone knows any different please let us know! The park is majority funded by a private Kuwaiti family and major contracts are being given to Indian companies including contracts for services which have previously been promoted as a benefit to the local community in Kent.

“The project is well-funded by Kuwaiti European Holdings (KEH), which is part of the Al Humaidi family of Kuwait. The family holds the majority shareholding in the London Resort Company Holdings. We are not raising any debt or equity currently,” Gerbeau said.

The holding company is also looking at sourcing other requirements from the country, Das said. “Hospitality and technology are some of the sectors of interest to us, where we are open to Indian partners,” he said.
    This is the one that caught my attention though…

The project will also tap into the large base of high net worth individuals in India looking to invest in the UK. It is working on a real estate linked financial return product for 998 years with two weeks of free stay every year including free tickets. “It’s a unique asset class designed for investors in a post-Covid world,” said Das.
    This is a classic timeshare scheme for investors looking to ‘buy’ into the UK, close to London. This as a way to finance a theme park, one that Gerbeau says in the article doesn’t need funding because of its owners, strikes me as incredibly strange.

It sounds very much like the schemes we saw in China a few years ago and Dubai before the financial crises where land was purchased under one set of rules because it included “major infrastructure” of a theme park but then the parks never got built with only apartments (or sometimes nothing) built on the site. There were many projects of this type, you only need to look through the history on this site on limbo/fail to see investors who never got what was promised.

Without wanting to sound too much like a conspiracy theory – these are the things I took from this article. A Kuwaiti investor working with an Indian construction company, with no history of delivering this type of project, is selling timeshares and contracts to Indian people and companies. They have land with access to central London in 17 minutes that isn’t eligible for building housing but by adding a theme park to the plans they bypass the regular planning laws. I would prepare for a phase 1 with housing developments and possibly hotels to “fund” the park and then nothing after that.

Source: https://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/shapoorji-pallonji-among-4-finalists-for-535-acre-theme-park-uk-s-largest-120070500293_1.html